Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter


To be quite honest, don't bother.

The book has an interesting premise. Henry (who is really the God Hades) needs a new wife and Kate is going to be the latest in a series of young women who will be put to the test in order to become Queen of the Underworld. The only issue is that every other girl who has taken the test has been killed. That small piece of information would have had me running to begin with but Kate, whose mother is dying of cancer, decides that taking the test will be worth it, since Henry/ Hades tells her he can keep her mother alive through the winter if she'll take the test.

Now Kate has just moved from NYC to the small town of Eden (her mother's hometown) as her mother's last wish. She starts school at the local high school, where right off the bat she meets James, who quickly becomes her best friend, and a cast of other high school characters, who *SPOILER ALERT* turn out to be the rest of the Gods of Olympus.

I have to say that finding out everyone she met in Eden was a God was not as enormous a shock as it seems to have been for Kate. She takes classes to learn about the Gods for heavens sake and she can't see that boy crazy Ava is really Aphrodite, I mean come on... I have no idea why Kate isn't just incredibly pissed by the end of the book. Her whole life has been set up to prepare her for the test and she never really had much choice. If I had been in her shoes and found out that my dying mother who I spent years caring for instead of enjoying my teenage years had been a Goddess who was in fact immortal, I would have lost it. Her whole reasoning for taking the test would be gone.

I thought the Goddess Test was going to be a girly Percy Jackson, but I was disappointed. There was no action at all and the plot moved at a snail's pace.

Not a favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment